Key Lime & Coconut

My adventures in the world of food & wine

Monday, October 15, 2007

Black Beans and Baseball

It's officially autumn, and that for me means two things: baseball playoffs and soup. Tonight, along with some nice crisp weather, I'm getting to enjoy both of those fall classics. (Although to be honest, I'm enjoying the baseball a bit less right now; my Red Sox are losing 2-0 as I write this.)

I've made my fair share of black bean soup in my time, and I've tried a bunch of different recipes. I'm always on the lookout for a new one. Tonight, since I've been going through Mark Bittman's fantastic culinary compendium
How to Cook Everything, I tested out his recipe. Pluses: it was fast and easy, it had great flavor (good and spicy), and it was versatile enough that I would feel comfortable using it as a base for some future tinkering. Minuses: it's a little thinner than I was expecting. After it was done, I put a bunch of garnishes on top, and they kept sinking into the soup. Which would have been 100% fine if I hadn't been trying to take a picture of it.

Overall, a delicious, satisfying soup. Now if only the Red Sox would perform as well as this recipe...


Black Bean Soup
Serves 3-4
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable/canola oil
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 3 c. drained cooked black beans
  • 4 c. chicken/beef/vegetable stock
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
  • sour cream
  • optional (but recommended) garnishes: cilantro, chopped scallions, grated cheddar cheese, chopped tomato, chopped avocado
Place the oil in a large, deep saucepan or casserole and turn the heat to medium. A minute later, add the onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and chili powder and cook, stirring, another minute. Add the beans and stock and season with salt and pepper. Turn the heat to medium-high and bring the soup just to a boil. Turn the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat. Puree half the contents of the pot in a food processor or blender (or just mash the contents with a potato masher or large fork). Add the lime juice and stir; taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve, topped with any or all of the optional garnishes.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I love black bean soup! I've just bought a slow cooker (my first ever, imagine that!), and I'm going to experiment with bean soups cooked that way, using dried beans that have been soaked overnight. Will try this recipe using the slow cooker -- should be fun.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home