Key Lime & Coconut

My adventures in the world of food & wine

Thursday, October 11, 2007

No Vampires

Have you ever butchered a chicken? You know, taken a whole chicken and hacked at it with a large knife to dismember it? I did yesterday for the first time. It was not pleasant. Actually, that's an understatement - it was kind of awful. It made me want to become a vegetarian immediately. I'll spare you the gory details, but it involved breaking bones. Ugh. I guess it was a good experience, though, because now I know how to do it. If you're ever faced with cutting up a whole chicken, there's a pretty good explanation with diagrams and stuff on p.368 of Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything, or you can look here.

Anyway, the butchering was worth it because this
chicken with 40 cloves of garlic is amazing. This recipe really just screams "autumn" to me. Between the roasting garlic and the cinnamon, the smell it emanates as the chicken is cooking is one of the most delicious aromas ever to grace my olfactory organs. My apartment has never smelled better than it did for an hour last night when I had this chicken on the stove.

Added bonus: all this garlic is a pretty potent vampire repellent.

A glimpse into the pot:

And on the plate:

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
Adapted from
How to Cook Everything (Mark Bittman)
  • 1 whole chicken, cut up, trimmed of fat, rinsed and patted dry
  • 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • at least 2 heads garlic, separated into cloves but not peeled
  • 1/2 c. minced fresh parsley leaves
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 c. white wine or chicken stock
Place the chicken, oil, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, and cinnamon in the bottom of a large saucepan, casserole, or Dutch oven. Pour the wine/stock over all and mix together. Turn the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Cover tightly and reduce the heat to low. Cook, undisturbed, for about an hour, until the chicken and garlic are very tender. Eat the softened garlic cloves spread onto good crusty bread.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Katie Zeller said...

When you said 'butcher' I thought you meant starting with a still-clucking chicken... I'm guessing it was already dead and plucked???
Great recipe, I love all the garlic!

4:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home