Key Lime & Coconut

My adventures in the world of food & wine

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Fast Easy Fresh

This warm weather we've been having in Cambridge is really perking up my spirits. You honestly can't appreciate spring until you've survived a Boston winter. I've survived 5 now, so let me just say that the first days of spring are like manna from heaven. Over the weekend I celebrated the warmth by grilling up some yummy burgers, which I always associate with summer cookouts. Tonight I went with a fast, easy, fresh-tasting pasta dish perfect for spring, from a recent Bon Appetit. I need to enjoy this weather while I can - it'll be back in the 40's later this week. That's Boston weather for ya.


Linguine with Shrimp, Asparagus, and Basil
Serves 2
  • 8 oz. linguine (I used fresh black pepper linguine from my local grocer)
  • 3 T olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 T butter
  • 12 uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 12 slender asparagus, trimmed, cut diagonally into 1-1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 T fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups (packed) fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, plus extra for garnish
  • 2 lemon wedges
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add wine and butter; boil 2 minutes. Add shrimp, asparagus, and lemon juice. Toss until asparagus is just tender and shrimp are just opaque in center, about 3 minutes. Drain pasta and add to skillet; add 2 cups sliced basil leaves and toss until basil wilts and sauce coats pasta, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Divide pasta between 2 plates. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and lemon wedges and serve.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I just planted some basil last week and I've already been picking at it!
Spring is wonderful - and your pasta dish looks perfect!

3:13 AM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

This looks just fantastic and I could use Dreamfields pasta which would make it perfect for me.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Ros said...

Those like good shrimp! Big and juicy, not like the ones here.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home