Key Lime & Coconut

My adventures in the world of food & wine

Friday, September 21, 2007

Sometimes Diets Aren't So Bad

I've been really frustrated recently because A) dieting sucks because you can't eat anything fun and B) if you're going to bother dieting you should at least be able to lose weight, right? Well, there's nothing I can do about that second thing right now (except bitch to anyone who will listen), but tonight I was determined to at least make something South Beach friendly that I would actually enjoy eating. A piece of wild Alaskan salmon solved all my problems. Behold a meal that is both delicious and healthy.


Seared Mediterranean Salmon
Serves one (because I'm a loser)
  • 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
  • salmon fillet (5-6 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 tomato, coarsely chopped
  • 1 T chopped black olives (Nicoise or other)
  • 1 T fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
  • squeeze of juice from half a lemon
  • 1 t capers, drained
  • roughly torn fresh basil leaves (2-3)
Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a heavy skillet until smoking. Sprinkle the salmon with salt and pepper. Cook to desired doneness. I like mine crispy on the outside and a bit rare in the middle, so I cooked mine about 3 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet to a plate. In the same skillet, add the chickpeas and all remaining ingredients except basil. Stir until warm. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the chickpea mixture on top of the salmon and top with the basil.

This is my entry for Weekend Herb Blogging #101, hosted by Myriam of Once Upon a Tart. WHB is a weekly food blogging event where bloggers post recipes using their favorite herbs, plants, veggies, and flowers. My herb of choice is fresh basil, showcased delightfully in this dish.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Diet or not, it sounds delicious! I love everything in it...
Yeah, diets suck... but I could live with this!

4:41 AM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds very good to me. I could eat this even if I wasn't on a diet! I'm not convinced that you can't find anything good to eat on South Beach either!

Hope things are ok otherwise. How's life?

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! Check out our salmon recipe contest at MarxFoods.com. The prize? 15 Pounds of Wild Salmon!

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home