Key Lime & Coconut

My adventures in the world of food & wine

Sunday, September 09, 2007

The MTV Video Baking Awards

Today has been, as Andy Samberg would say, a lazy Sunday. I spent most of the afternoon reading for class tomorrow, but I took a break to do some baking (despite the fact that I couldn't eat the fruits of my labor). But I was going over to Chris's to watch the VMAs, and in anticipation of the train wreck that was to be Britney Spears' "comeback" performance, I decided to bake him and Kate each a loaf of glazed strawberry bread with the leftover strawberries from the ice cream I made last week. Chris and Kate dug into the bread as we discussed the fact that we were witnessing what could be the death of American pop culture. I mean, the awards show was terrible, not just Britney's performance, but especially that. Did you see her eyes? Seriously, my strawberry bread was not the only thing that was glazed over tonight. What. A. Disaster. The whole thing. Watching me bake my two loaves of quickbread probably would have made better television. Okay, maybe not, but I'm just saying.

This post isn't going to be very exciting because not only did I not eat the bread, I also failed to take a picture of it because my camera battery is dead. However, word on the street is that this bread is delish, so here's the recipe.

Glazed Strawberry Bread
Makes 2 loaves
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 c. sliced strawberries
  • 3 c. flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. cooking oil
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 c. powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 Tbsp. milk
Preheat oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until thick and lemon-colored. Mash the strawberries in a separate bowl. Add the berries, sugar, and oil to the eggs. Mix well. In another separate bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the berry mixture and mix until just incorporated. (It's important not to over-work the dough when you're making a quickbread.) Divide the batter evenly between 2 greased 9x5 loaf pans. Bake for about 50 minutes. Cool in the pans on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together the ingredients for the glaze (the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk), adding more milk as necessary to get the glaze to the consistency of a liquidy paste. Poke holes in the top of the bread and spread the glaze evenly over the hot loaves. Allow the bread to cool. Wrap and store overnight before slicing, if possible.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home