Key Lime & Coconut

My adventures in the world of food & wine

Monday, December 11, 2006

Lima Bean and Mint Risotto

A few weeks ago, my friend Jackie asked for a recommendation of something yummy she could make for her boyfriend while he was visiting. I suggested risotto, and ever since she told me how great it turned out, I've been craving it myself. Tonight I finally made some for dinner - I borrowed a recipe from the January issue of Food & Wine. The recipe was for pea and mint risotto, but since I had lima beans on hand, I substituted them instead of the peas and was very pleased with the result.

Food & Wine recommended as a wine pairing a 2005 Luna Pinot Grigio from Napa County. My local wine shop doesn't carry that particular wine, so I picked an Italian pinot grigio that happened to be on sale. It's a 2005 St. Michael-Eppan Pinot Grigio from Appiano, Italy ($11), and it has a really crisp finish and an aroma of pears. Great acidity, too, which cut nicely against the risotto's cheesiness. Any pinot grigio, or even sauvignon blanc, would go great with this dish.


Lima Bean and Mint Risotto
(serves 2 as a main dish or 4 as a side dish)
  • 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 large garlic clove, halved
  • 1 large shallot, minced
  • 1 1/2 c. arborio rice (10 oz.)
  • 3 c. chicken stock, warmed*
  • Salt and freshly ground white pepper
  • One 10-oz package frozen lima beans, thawed
  • 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup finely shredded mint leaves
*Note: the recipe calls for 4 1/2 cups, but my risotto was definitely done after 3.

In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the garlic and shallot, cover and cook over moderately low heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and stir over moderately low heat until slightly translucent, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of chicken stock and cook, stirring, until nearly absorbed. Continue adding the stock, about 1 cup at a time, stirring until the stock is absorbed before adding more. Cook, stirring, until the rice is al dente and suspended in thick, creamy liquid. Season with salt and pepper; discard the garlic. Add the lima beans and cook just until heated through. Stir in the cheese and mint and serve.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I feel so honored to have earned a mention in your blog. And the risotto looks delicious!

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every time I read this blog I am equal parts awed and delighted that we are actually friends, and I actually know you. You're going to totally be an environemental lawyer/gourmet food star someday.

12:02 AM  
Blogger DougBushBC said...

So i understand you are a good cook, and that sports may not be your thing, but calling BC Sports Esoteric may be a bit of a strech. That being said when you get your bony ass down here for NYE, i want to do a special addition of Key Lime and Coconut in Florida, with some of MY food :) Can't wait to see ya kiddo

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home