Key Lime & Coconut

My adventures in the world of food & wine

Monday, December 04, 2006

Maya Kaimal's Tamarind Coconut Curry

This post is slightly different than usual in that instead of sharing a recipe, I want to review a product that I tried last night. Saturday I went shopping with a friend, and I bought a couple of "simmering sauces" at Williams Sonoma. Last night I tested the first of them. It was a tamarind coconut curry sauce from Maya Kaimal's line of Indian sauces. I loved it!

I cubed an eggplant and a block of Nasoya extra-firm organic tofu and simmered them with the entire jar of sauce on low for an hour so that the eggplant was really tender and mushy. I served it over brown rice. Steve and I both agreed that the meal was just about as good as any we've had at an Indian restaurant recently.


And much more economical! Although it's kind of outrageous - I paid $12.50 for the 16-oz jar of sauce at Williams Sonoma, but I just did a little online research, and you can order a 15-oz jar (slightly different packaging) of the same sauce for $6.99 on igourmet.com. Well, at least now I know where to order more, because I definitely want to eat this again. It made the most outrageously easy, and delightfully delicious, meal. Two thumbs up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home