Key Lime & Coconut

My adventures in the world of food & wine

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Itsy Bitsy Pieces

Sorry for the hiatus, faithful readers. Two weekends ago I had a bit of an incident, in which I managed to chip my two front teeth pretty badly. While I wait for the verdict as to whether they can be saved, I've been forbidden from using my front teeth for any purpose whatsoever. This has made eating somewhat tricky. For the first week I subsisted almost entirely on oatmeal, soup and pudding until I realized that I could eat solid food as long as it was made up of small pieces that I could place into the back of my mouth and chew with my molars, bypassing the front teeth entirely.

Last night I made a
goat cheese, lentil and potato salad that fit the bill pretty well. Everything in it is in little pieces - no incisors necessary. Also, it's fast, pretty healthy and tastes good. If anyone has suggestions for other meals that are front-teeth-free, please, pass them along. It'll be at least another week and a half until I have recovered full mastication ability.


Goat Cheese, Lentil and Potato Salad
serves 2 as a main course
  • 1-1/4 c. French green lentils, rinsed and drained
  • 3 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 3 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
  • 1/2 c. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
  • salt and pepper
  • 8 oz. fresh goat cheese, crumbled
In a large saucepan, cover the lentils with cold water and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 18 minutes. Drain the lentils well and transfer to a large bowl. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, cover the potatoes with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook over moderately high heat until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain very well and add to the lentils. Add the scallions, tomatoes, parsley, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper and toss. Spoon the lentil salad onto plates and top with the goat cheese.

I borrowed this recipe from the October 2007 Food and Wine. They recommend a Semillon as a wine pairing, since its lemony/zesty flavors partner naturally with the earthy lentils and tangy dressing and goat cheese.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Katerina said...

Oh no!!! Well I wish you lots of luck for your teeth!! I made a lot of fancy soups when I had my wisdom teeth out - but I was able to use my front teeth just not my back ones. But it looks as though you have already figured it out!

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gosh! hope it all gets sorted out. When i had my wisdom teeth pulled (like dear katerina above), I ate loads of ice cream and sorbet - the cold temperature helped numb the pain... i also had quite a bit of (overcooked) risotto, and soggy savory bread puddings. hope you feel better soon!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

How awful! But what a great salad!
Scrambled eggs, omelets, small pasta - orzo, vermicelli; chocolate puddings....

3:46 PM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Great salad, but awful tooth story. Hope that it all gets resolved without too much discomfort.

11:32 PM  
Blogger javagirlkt's cookin' said...

how about creamy mac and cheese, au gratin potatoes, stuffing, mashed potatoes....

doesn't actually sound like a bad diet :)

i hope you start feeling better soon! i like your blog, keep up the good work.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home