Key Lime & Coconut

My adventures in the world of food & wine

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Simple & Healthy Brain Food

Well, I'm back in Cambridge, and my first round of law school exams starts tomorrow. I'm much less panicked than I thought I'd be, but this week is still pretty hectic, with all the studying and whatnot. Cooking elaborate meals is something that is definitely not happening right now - I just don't have the time. Last night I was craving something fresh and simple after a working lunch of macaroni & cheese earlier in the day (hey, my pantry's pretty empty after 2+ weeks out of town for the holidays).

After running down to the store and picking up some fresh haddock, I decided on an easy recipe from the revised Joy of Cooking, which I got for Christmas. The recipe was for
Baked Fish Fillets in White Wine, which I served with asparagus (steamed and sprinkled with some Herbes de Provence) and a crusty French dinner roll. Cooking the fish in the wine really kept it moist and gave it a delicious flavor. It was good healthy food to help me get through the next few days of exam time.


Baked Fish Fillets in White Wine
(from the revised Joy of Cooking)
  • 1 1/2 pounds sole, flounder, cod, haddock, or other white-fleshed fish fillets
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 2 Tbsp. dry sherry
  • Salt & pepper
  • Lemon wedges
Preheat the oven to 350. Place fish in a greased baking dish. If the fillets are large, they may be cut in half. Pour the wine and sherry over them. Bake until firm and opaque throughout, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve drizzled with the liquid from the dish, which you may boil to reduce slightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with lemon wedges.

Suggested wine pairing:
I drank the same wine that I cooked the fish in, an inexpensive Portuguese vinho verde. A pinot grigio/pinot gris or sauvignon blanc would also be great choices that would compliment the asparagus as well as the fish.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love fish but have never had haddock. For some reason I'm not a big fan of thick cut fish, so that scares me. Anyway, hope your tests go well. My roommate is in law school but had all her tests before vacation and is STILL out of school (NOT FAIR!). She actually amjured (sp?) one of her tests, so she was pretty excited.

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks like such a simple and tasty recipe. Like Maureen said...it looks so fresh!

Good luck with your tests.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Rachel Rubin said...

I also recieved the Joy of Cooking but I put it aside for awhile because I'm on the healthy food kick and I assumed it would be full of things like Pot Roast. It's good to know there are healthy recipes too. I guess there would have to be with 4500 recipes.

By the way, I also have a foodie blog and I added a link to your site. Mine is Rachel's Bite if you want to take a peak.

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home