Key Lime & Coconut

My adventures in the world of food & wine

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Hot Soup for a "Cool" Night

In Florida, when the temperature drops below 70 degrees, the natives put on their parkas and long underwear. I used to be like that until I moved to Boston and realized what cold really felt like. When I come home for holidays and my parents are still layering up with sweaters while I'm wearing t-shirts, I mock them, but I also make them delicious soups to warm them up.

This recipe for
Chicken Tortilla Soup with Lime comes out of a Rachael Ray cookbook that my sister got me for Christmas. I really, really hate Rachael Ray, but I have to admit that some of her recipes, like this one, are quite yummy. This recipe also helped me fulfill my goal of making as many things as possible with one of my two favorite ingredients (coconut & key lime). This soup doesn't have any coconut in it, but it has lots of yummy key lime juice and zest, a wonderful complement to the aromatic cilantro.


Chicken Tortilla Soup with Lime
(serves 4)
  • 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 lbs. chicken tenders
  • Salt & freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
  • 1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
  • 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
  • 2 c. yellow corn tortilla chips
  • 2 tsp. hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
  • 1 quart chicken stock or broth
  • 1/2 c. sour cream
  • Zest and juice of 2 limes (or 4 key limes)
  • 1/2 c. fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced
Preheat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat and add the oil. Chop the chicken tenders into bite-size pieces. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the hot soup pot. Lightly brown the chicken, 3 to 4 minutes, then add the garlic, bell pepper, onion, celery, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. While that is cooking, place the tortilla chips in a ziploc bag and crush with a rolling pin. Add the ground tortilla chips to the soup pot and stir to combine. Add the chicken stock and bring the soup to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. Squeeze in the juice from the limes. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the sour cream. Pass the lime zest, chopped cilantro, and sliced scallions in bowls for each person to add to taste.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I received this cookbook for Christmas as well and have this recipe marked to try. Your photo just sealed the deal! Looks fantastic.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks good..I do find RR annoying tho.I can't stand that woman!I watched a full episode of her talk show today.Just to give it a chance or something.OMG..I felt like shooting someone..When she had animals on, the whole time she was running around the set screaming.wtf..then when it came to the advice part.I wanted to pop her...ahh well..

2:47 AM  
Blogger Rachel Rubin said...

Wow, that looks so good! Thanks for posting the recipe as I don't have the book.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have this cookbook and I believe the recipe in the book calls for one jalapeno, diced, to be added as well.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Jennie Pollock said...

thanks for typing this. i googled to find it a while back and didn't see it. i'm a rr recipe fan. -- a working mom in illinois......

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home