Key Lime & Coconut

My adventures in the world of food & wine

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Poof! Vaporizing Marshmallows!

Two days ago, for Halloween, I attempted to make gooey caramel popcorn balls. They were a failure, hence their conspicuous absence from the blog (I couldn't even bring myself to document with a picture the globby, messy clump of popcorn that resulted). However, because of this endeavor, I find myself in the possession of multiple bags of mini marshmallows. That got me thinking. Why, I wondered, does no one mix mini marshmallows into cookie batter? Wouldn't a cookie full of mini marshmallows be delicious? I set off to find out.

The reason, I learned, is because when you put mini-marshmallow-filled cookies into a hot oven, the mini marshmallows in the dough simply melt (and, in some cases, vaporize!) so that there is almost no trace of them left in the final product. Nonetheless, the cookies will still taste great. What I did specifically was to make up a batch of plain old butter-cookie batter and mix in a handful each of mini marshmallows and dried unsweetened coconut flakes. I won't post the recipe because you can do this with whatever simple cookie dough recipe is your favorite. Just don't get too excited about the prospect of having big plump marshmallows in the cookies...

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I've made cookies like this and the marshmellows tend to do okay if you wrap the dough around them. I tried it by just putting the marshmallows dirctly in the dough and then DID vaporize. Another way to do this is to cook the cookies until they are almost done (2-3 minutes left) and then place the marshmallows on top and put back in for those 2-3 minutes.

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, even with vaporized marshmallows, these cookies were deliciousness. :)

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home