Key Lime & Coconut

My adventures in the world of food & wine

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

What To Do With Your Jack-O-Lantern's Guts

After you've gutted your pumpkin to make a Halloween jack-o-lantern (such as my McDreamy masterpiece), what to do with all the goop you've scooped out? Easy -- wash the seeds and roast them with some spices. This recipe doesn't require a rocket scientist's intellect (or even, say, a Harvard Law student's). To be honest, it's pretty hard to mess up. Just coat your cleaned-up pumpkin seeds with some oil, toss in salt and whatever spices you like (my suggestion follows), and roast. Enjoy as a salty complement to all those sugary candies and sweets you've indulged in today.


Spiced Pumpkin Seeds (borrowed from my new How to Cook Everything cookbook)
  • Fresh pumpkin seeds, washed and patted dry with paper towels
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or less if you're a wimp like me)
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
Combine oil, salt, cayenne pepper, and cumin in a bowl. Add pumpkin seeds and toss until coated. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brilynn said...

I love roasted pumpkin seeds. Sadly I burned mine this year! I'm going to have to buy another pumpkin just to get the seeds.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home