Key Lime & Coconut

My adventures in the world of food & wine

Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Daring Bakers Do Dorie

As I recently wrote, I'm a new Dorie Greenspan cult follower, so I was pretty psyched to see that this month's Daring Bakers recipe was to be Dorie's own Perfect Party Cake. If Dorie Greenspan herself is calling something "perfect," you know it's going to be good. When Joe was here visiting a couple weeks ago, we set off on this baking adventure with great relish.

The Perfect Party Cake is a layer cake lightly scented with lemon, and between each set of layers it's got both raspberry preserves as well as buttercream frosting. More buttercream frosting finishes the outside of the cake, along with some shredded coconut for good measure.


Everything went perfectly this time around, and the flavor combination of lemon, raspberry, and coconut was truly sublime. However, I've come to realize that I simply don't care for buttercream frosting. It's just...too much. Too rich, too much butter. Nonetheless, Joe and I had a great time baking the cake, and an even better time eating it. I would definitely make this again with another, lighter kind of frosting.

To see hundreds of other takes on Dorie's Perfect Party Cake, head on over to the Daring Bakers Blog Roll. While the host doesn't appear to have the recipe on her site, many of the other Daring Bakers have posted it.

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Rosie said...

Oh Becky your cake looks so delicious and what a great job you have done here! Well done :)

Rosie x

7:57 AM  
Blogger ~Amber~ said...

Beautiful looking cake, congratulations on a successful challenge.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Lunch Buckets said...

Your cake looks delicious! You can scrape off your buttercream and give it to me :)

11:41 PM  
Blogger Sheltie Girl said...

You did a fabulous job on your cake! My family and I agree, this was way too sweet for us.

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl
contact me at ashishbaldua4@gmail.com to know more.

thx-Ashish

4:42 AM  
Blogger Pod said...

this cake makes me want to eat my computer screen

12:31 PM  
Blogger Sophie said...

Hiya,

I know it's kind of random leaving you a comment like this, but I figured, from one food blogger to another - it should be ok :D.

My husband is about to start Harvard Law this coming fall. We'll both be moving to Cambridge in about a month :). It's nice to see another Cambridge foodie!

I'm actually hoping to start a Cambridge cooking group when I get over there. Know of any other food bloggers who might be interested?

Anyhow, it's nice to meet you!

Sophie
Flour Arrangements

2:30 PM  
Anonymous retro sweets said...

this absolutely tastes delicious! i wish you posted the entire recipe.. but anyways i got the idea of how you made it. and i'm not much in to the frosting either. too much butter...

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home